Saturday, April 14, 2007

Durr durr, dull?



After re-reading the 'blog house' article linked on a previous post here, the ubiquity of grimey, over-looped, distorti-noise house, of the kind that perpetually pays homage to, or (cough) evolves, the early Justice sound, has really hit home for me.

Over the last year or so I’ve actively obtained as much of this music as possible. Initially anything Kitsune, Simian Mobile Disco or Ed Banger, more recently Kissy Sell Out, Van She, Guns and Bombs etc… But is it starting to sound a bit tired?

The freshest track I’ve heard for a while is the Kissy Sell Out mix of Gwen Stefani’s Wind it Up. Perhaps because it’s not reliant on distorted samples, (too) dirty synths and the almost obligatory minute long drop out filled with loops, irregular banging and difficult to love drilling sounds. Actually I think it’s that ‘difficult to love-ness’ that’s starting to bore me. Is there an informal competition between producers trying to out do each other with the most sustained period of virtually unlistenable, unmusical noise shoehorned into a derivative indie-remix? Punkish DIY attitude is great, but is it still daring and rebellious if everyone’s producing records that sound the same?

Gah! Ignore me, I’ve been on a solid diet of Blamma Blamma, ZZZ, Surkin, Stutter, Boy-8-Bit and South Central remixes for too long. Maybe I’ve OD’d?

Either way, I wanna hear something new? I’m waiting for a post-Justice sound. DFA are done. Daft Punk evidently stole all their best ideas from old records. And, I’m reliably informed that in the UK ‘electro house’ is now only bought by guys in square-toed loafers. D.A.N.C.E is ok. But what’s next?

No comments: